As a career coach, I spend a lot of time helping people with their “mistakes”. There are so many people that feel they have made a professional “mistake”, or have been given obstacles or problems that simply can’t be surmounted on what should be the straight and simple path to success. Realistically, there are lots of things that get in the way of that straight path to career bliss. Many people have detours, speed bumps, rocky climbs, or “long periods in the desert” as one of my clients coined, during their professional lives. Industries and markets are changing at break-neck speed and words like off-shoring, down-sizing and redundancy have become common words in corporate language. We, as individuals, are observing these trends along with our own shifting lives and priorities and finding the need to adapt, adjust and alter our priorities and our definition of success and tactics. All this leads to change and some mistakes along the way…..With that in mind and knowing that we all encounter “mistakes”, I wanted to share with you a list of 5 Reasons to Celebrate Mistakes:
5 Reasons to Celebrate Mistakes:
1. Mistakes get our attention; they give us a starting point for change.
2. Permitting mistakes allows us to take risks.
3. Noticing mistakes shows our commitment to quality, to making our life work.
4. We can use mistakes to practice. Look through the lens of your values.
5. Mistakes make powerful teachers and give us an opportunity to renew our values, learn a new value or new behaviors.
“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times,
develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.”